May 1, 2009

What a Dal

My name is Kirsten, and I am a hoarder.  Of lentils.  I found all of these in my cabinet.  I do not know where they came from.  I do not know how I bought a bag of lentils at one point, and then on two more occasions decided I should buy lentils from bulk bins.  And one of those bags is huge.  What on earth was I planning on doing with so many lentils?  


I think I know where my lentil hoarding came from.  My mom is a chocolate chip hoarder.  Boom.  Roasted.  

I will probably not be allowed in my parents' house without supervision after posting this photo.  I love you, Mom. :) 


I had stumbled upon my lentil stockpile when I was looking for rice to make with chicken curry.  I figured I might as well make a dent in my lentil stash, so I consulted the Joy of Cooking for some ideas.  I decided on dal because it was simple and would work well the the curry.  

I'm no dal expert, but I do know that it comes in many variations.  Some are more on the soupy side, and some are more on the pasty side.  Some have add-ins, and some are basically lentils and spices.  Some use red lentils, and some use black lentils.  The version I made was more on the pasty side (but could have been taken off the heat earlier to make a soupier version) with just a few spices.  I pretty much followed the Joy of Cooking recipe, making adjustments according to the ingredients I had on hand.  

Start with a cup of lentils.  Rinse them and pick out any bad seeds.  


Put them in a saucepan with 2 cups of water.  


Then add the following:

1/4 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger

Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer.  


Simmer for about 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.  Then add another cup of water and 3/4 tsp salt.  Simmer, partially covered, until it reaches your desired consistency.  


Here's what mine looked like right before I removed it from the heat.  JoC suggests adding in chopped chiles or tomatoes, but I decided to leave it as it was.  


Matt and I both really liked it.  I just ate mine straight, and he mixed his with rice.  I will definitely be making this again, trying out different spice combos and add-ins.  I think my next version will include some garam masala, which is currently stinking up my cupboard in the best possible way.  


Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Blogger kenikeia said...

You do realize don't you dear that if it weren't for all those chocolate chips there would be no "more chocolate" in "more cheese more chocolate" (where is my smile emoticon when I need him!?!)! I love you too - despite the disrespect I'm forced to endure!

May 02, 2009  
Blogger 1234 said...

when i was in southeast asia dal always went on curry, on rice, etc. every meal, like you were having hot dogs and it was ketchup.

May 06, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home