April 23, 2009

Apple & Asparagus Salad

We had a much needed girls' dinner last night, and I was in charge of salad.  I had been running nonstop all day*, so I wanted to use stuff that I already had and spend a minimal amount of time at the grocery store.  I had a couple apples and half a bunch of asparagus, and all I bought was spinach and a little piece of Manchego.  

*Thanks to a tip from my mentor, a friend and I spent all morning at the trial of a 2 live crew member.  One of the "Crew" members had stuck his hand down the pants of some go-go dancer while they were performing at a skeezy bar in a suburb of St. Paul.  His manager told the girl "that's just how we do."  Lovely.  The highlight, by far, was when a girl on the witness stand described seeing the rapper touch the dancer's "vajayay."  Nothing like anatomical slang to up your credibility.    

Moving right along, here's everything I used for the salad (minus salt, pepper, and a little parsley).


Chop the asparagus into 1" pieces.


I got a fairly small piece of Manchego, and I only used about half of it.  Parmesan would probably work for this, too.   


Shave some pieces of cheese, and try to make them about 1" long or less.  



Core the apples.  I think these are galas.  Any crisp variety should work.  


Then thinly slice them there apples.  That's my redneck jedi talk.  May the force be with y'all.   


For the dressing mix equal parts oil and apple cider vinegar, then add more of either one to taste.  Add some salt and pepper and whatever herbs & spices you like.  I was going to use chives, but they didn't look so great so I just used a little parsley.  If only I had a garden and could just clip herbs...

Combine the spinach, apple, asparagus, and cheese.  Drizzle with dressing, mix, and add more dressing as needed.


 I didn't get a picture of everything thrown together, but it was a nice, spring salad that I will be making again.  

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Kyle said...

All you need is to open a bottle of wine and to watch Chocolate for the perfect evening.

April 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home