April 6, 2009

Basic Guacamole

I have to credit my being the youngest child in the family for my love of guacamole.  I always wanted to do everything my brothers did, and that desire eventually pushed me so far as to eat a chip full of guac.  Until about five years ago I thought avocados were about as offensive as food could get.  I didn't understand how anyone could like them - they had such a weird texture and a weird flavor.  Then one summer my brothers and I were all at home, and one of them made a big batch of guacamole.  My brothers were both inhaling the stuff, and I didn't want to be left out, so I gave it a shot.  I absolutely loved it.  It's now one of my favorite things to eat, and it's super easy to make.  Just make sure the avocados are ripe.  One summer when my brothers and I and our friend JP were living in Spaghetti on Washington in Iowa City, JP made a batch of guac with rock hard avocados.  JP may not remember it, but I have a vivid memory of him sitting there with two forks battling a bowl of avocados that would not mash.  I would not recommend his technique.  

Ingredients:

2 ripe avocados
1/2-1 large tomato
1 jalepeno
1-2 cloves garlic
1/2 lime
salt
1/2 onion (optional)
Cilantro (optional)

What a lovely avocado.  


Do you know the easiest way to get the pit out of the avocado?  No?  I'm going to show you.  


Take a big knife, and give the pit a big WHACK.  


Twist the knife, and pull up.  It's as easy as that.  


Scrape the avocado into a bowl, and gently mash it.  It will get more mashed up as you stir in the other ingredients, so don't go too crazy at this stage.  


Add some chopped tomato.  


Chop a jalepeno into fairly small pieces  


Add some onion if you want.  Red, white, yellow, whatever.  


Add the jalepeno and garlic, and stir to combine.  Then squeeze in lime juice and add salt to taste.  


We ate ours with some double decker tacos, and we talked about how we wished we had those taco stands like our moms used to have.  


Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home