December 25, 2008

Lamb Tagine

With my dad out of town earlier this week, my mom and I were free to cook meat without having to make two meals.  We had a boneless leg of lamb to do something with, so we made this ragu.  My uncle Mike had made it a couple weeks ago for my grandparents, and they were both huge fans.  The recipe is actually called Gnocchi Di Patate Con Ragu di Agnello, but don't let the name intimidate you because it was incredibly easy to make and uses only a few ingredients.  Here are the ingredients for the ragu:


And we ate it on store-bought gnocchi which was surprisingly good.  


The first step is to trim the lamb a little and cut it into about 1-inch pieces.  The original recipe called for 2 pounds of lamb and the piece we had was about 2.75 pounds, so I adjusted the rest of the ingredients slightly.  


Start by heating some oil and then add a few whole cloves of garlic, a sprig of rosemary, and a bay leaf or two.  


After about a minute add in the lamb and brown it for 8-10 minutes.


Then add the wine, tomatoes, water, and salt.  The recipe called for 1/2 cup of wine and 1 cup of water, but we did 1 cup of wine and 1/2 cup of water.  


Bring it down to a simmer, cover it, and cook it for about and hour and a half.  


My mom wanted to try out her tagine so that's the pot we used.  We ended up having to take the top off for the last half hour or so to get it to reduce.  


Here it is right before serving.  Be sure to take out the rosemary stalk and the bay leaves.  It says to take out the garlic, too, but most of it was broken down so much that I couldn't really find it.  


And all ready to eat.  We ate it with cabbage salad, yogurt/cucumber/dill dip, and pitas.  It was terrible.  I could barely choke down a bite.  Just kidding.  It was awesome.  I can't wait to make it again.  


Merry Christmas!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home