July 2, 2009

Chorizo Empanadas

A few nights ago my friends (and sorority sisters!) Kelsey and Sarah came over for our monthly gossip session, so I prepared a spread of tapas.  It was a wonderful night of good wine, great friends, tasty food, and juicy gossip.  The spread included chorizo empanadas, tortilla espanola, spinach balls, olives, hummus, and muhammara.  More recipes will be coming soon, but today it's the empanadas, pictured on the left.  Super easy, super tasty. 


The recipe came from combining two recipes from Tapas by Susanna Tee.  Start by thawing a sheet of puff pastry on a lightly floured surface.  Ok, they're kind of faux empanadas, but they're good nonetheless.  


Roll out the pastry a bit and then use a glass to cut out circles.  Once you've cut out all the circles you can, re-roll the remaining pastry and cut more.  You should get about a dozen.  


Place a few cubes of mozzarella cheese on each one.  I kind of overdid it.  Sue me.  


Then pile on a little cooked chorizo.  I used soy Mexican chorizo from Trader Joe's.  You could use any kind of meat, or you could just stick with cheese.  


Brush a little water around the edge of the circle with your finger, then fold them in half to seal them.  I was in a hurry so I didn't seal them very well, but you can use a fork to crimp the edges so they'll stick together better.  Cut a little slit on top of each one to allow steam to escape, place them on a greased cookie sheet, brush them with a little beaten egg, and cook at 400 for about 15 minutes, or until they're puffed up and browned.  


I didn't take a final picture because my guests had arrived, but you can catch a glimpse of them up at the top of this post.  They were really good, and I will definitely be making them again.  

Happy 4th of July!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home