June 26, 2009

Grilled Pork - Circa 1995

There are a few dishes that I can remember my mom making over and over again when I was growing up.  Steamed broccoli with cheese sauce, fettucini alfredo, chocolate chip pizzas, and marinated pork on the grill.  None of them are gourmet, but they all remind me of childhood.  

This whole week has been really hot, and it's been killing me.  Ninety-degree weather is not supposed to happen in Minnesota until August, and then it is only supposed to be a day here or there - not for a whole week in June!  Mother Nature, I am not impressed.  

Earlier in the week we were hanging out on the beach, and I caught a whiff of somebody's grill.  The water and the grill and the heat instantly reminded me of the grilled pork my mom frequently made after a long summer day at the pool.  She would be in the house whipping up the rest of the meal, and I would man the grill, water bottle in hand.  I think I really just like to squirt water on the flames, and she would come out to check on the actual progression of the cooking, but I like to think that I played a part in cooking dinner.

All you need is Italian dressing and boneless pork loin.  Chicken would work as well.  

Start out by pouring a little Italian (pronounced "eye-talian" if your name is Matt) dressing into a dish or a plastic bag.  Add the pieces of pork and cover with more dressing.  I bought boneless pork loin that was about an inch thick.  If the thinner pieces are available, go for those.  Cover it and put in in the fridge to marinate for a few hours.


Throw them on the grill.  Easy, huh?


They should take about 5-7 minutes on each side.  I always get paranoid and have to slice into a piece to make sure it's done.  One of these days I'll learn...


We ate ours with salad and cheddar polenta while we cooled off in the air conditioning.  It really is summer.  


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Matt Roby said...

"eye - talian"

July 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home