June 23, 2009

Strawberry-Peach Frozen Yogurt

I have a frozen yogurt maker!  I have a frozen yogurt maker!  

And an ice cream maker.  And it moonlights as a frozen drink maker.  

It is wonderful, and I tried it out last week.  I wanted to make peach frozen yogurt and Matt wanted strawberry, so I made strawberry peach.  It's all about compromise.  I figured fruity frozen yogurt would be a good starting off point, and I will eventually get up the nerve (and calorie deficit) to make David Lebovitz's Candied Bacon Ice Cream.  

As for my fro yo recipe, it's about the most simple thing you could imagine.  I had been checking out a bunch of different recipes in various places and they all called for different things - from gelatin to cornstarch, evaporated milk to whole milk, plain yogurt to strawberry yogurt.  While I might experiment a little and see what kind of difference something like gelatin makes, I prefer to use the lowest number of ingredients.  Sadly for cornstarch, it did not make the cut.  

Ingredients:
3 cups plain whole milk yogurt
1 cup strawberries
1 cup peaches
1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Place the fruit in a food processor, and hit the pulse button a few times until you have leettle pieces of fruit.  Not puree.  Pieces.  


Combine with the yogurt. 


Add 1/2 tsp vanilla extract.  If you want a sweeter version, toss in a little sugar.  


Pour it into the ice cream maker, and let it do it's job for 20-30 minutes.  I just kind of guessed when the texture was right.  My stomach voiced its opinion as well.  


The old yogurt container makes a perfect storage container.  


The yogurt was pretty delightful for my first crack at frozen dessert making since I was 8.  I'm still working a bit on achieving the perfect texture and taste.  I didn't include any sugar to make it a little healthier, but a tad more sweetness probably wouldn't hurt.  More experiments to come...


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger - Nicholas.Eoin - said...

Looks pretty amazzing

June 23, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home