June 2, 2009

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

One of my favorite summer desserts is rhubarb crisp.  Growing up there was always a bunch of rhubarb growing in the yard, and it generally ended up in the oven.  It wasn't until about a year ago that I realized you could actually buy rhubarb at the grocery store.  I thought you had to grow it or scavenge for it like morel mushrooms.  Shows how much I know.  

When I left home a couple weeks ago my mom sent me back with a bag full of rhubarb stalks to have my way with.  Get your mind out of the gutter.  I had some strawberries that were working their way towards expiration, so I threw them into the crisp along with the rhubarb.  

Crisps are pretty flexible and you can easily adjust the fruit to topping ratio.  I added way more topping to this one that I would have liked, but if you're more into the topping than the fruit go ahead and stick to the recipe.  Next time I make this, hopefully tonight, I will probably cut the topping amount in half or reduce it by a third. 

Chop several stalks of rhubarb into about 1/4" pieces and toss in a bowl with a couple tablespoons of sugar.  


I didn't measure any fruit amounts, so here is how many strawberries I used.  


Chop them up a bit.  


Mix the strawberries and rhubarb and add them to a baking dish.  


The dry ingredients for the topping are:

1 cup flour
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup quick-cooking oatmeal
3/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 tsp salt


Mix the dry ingredients and add a stick of melted butter.  


The result should be a crumbly mix like this.  


Top the fruit with the crumb mixture.  If you made too much you could save the excess to sprinkle on fresh fruit or ice cream.  Or ice cream with fresh fruit.  Or yogurt.  Or yogurt with fresh fruit.  Or yogurt and honey.  Or you could just cut to the chase and eat it with a spoon.  


Here is the before.


And here is the after.  


Bake it at 375 for about 45 minutes or until it's bubbling and the top starts to brown.  


Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.  



Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristi said...

I made this the other night (with different fruit) and it was so good! Thanks for the idea. Also, why didn't you make those phallic cookies for my senior dinner? Sigh. Maybe next time.

June 09, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home