February 5, 2009

Tuna Casserole

For some reason I've really been craving tuna casserole lately.  It's a little odd considering the last time I ate it was probably 15 years ago when my grandma made it during lent.  My mom claims that she made tuna casserole a lot when my brothers and I were little, but I have no recollection of eating it on any instances other than that one time.   

After looking up a bunch of recipes, I made up one of my own.  I got a little frustrated looking at all the recipes because so many of them would tell you the measurement for cooked noodles.  How am I supposed to know how many dry noodles will yield 2 cups of cooked noodles?  I was also frustrated by the fact that they all told you to use a casserole dish.  I basically have two baking dishes - one 9"x13" and one 9" round - and I have no idea how either of those compare to a two-quart casserole dish.  After a little googling I kind of figured out what I needed, so here is my tuna casserole recipe which can be made in a 9" round pan and serves 4-6.  

Measure about 2-1/2 cups uncooked egg noodles.  Then cook them according to the package directions.  


While the noodles are cooking, break up a few cans of tuna in a big bowl.  I used two 5oz cans and one 3oz can.  Depending on how tuna-y you want it,  you could use anywhere from 10oz. to 15oz.  


Add a generous cup of chopped broccoli.  Peas would work well, too.  


Add 1 can of cream of celery soup and about 2/3 cup milk.  


Once the noodles are cooked and drained, add them to the tuna mixture.  


Season with salt and pepper.  


Pour it all into your greased dish.  


Top with breadcrumbs and cheese.  I had some cheddar in the fridge, so I used that.  You could use anything you had on hand, though.  Mozzarella, parmesan, Swiss, Gruyere, provolone...


Bake at 350 for 25-30 minutes, or until the top looks done.  


Does this make you hungry?


Matt and I both really liked it.  It's such a simple dish, and it's perfect for a cold Minnesota night.  I definitely won't wait 15 more years to eat it again.  


Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok... I'm not sure about your cheese suggestions; I love gruyere cheese, but I am not sure that I would waste it on a tuna casserole. Not that there is anything wrong with tuna casserole. :) Have a good weekend!!!

February 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home