February 4, 2009

Spinach Artichoke Dip

Mmmmmmm... Spinach artichoke dip.  I made this for the Super Bowl party we went to, and while it wasn't as good as the bacon & brown sugar encased pretzel rods our friend Alicia made, it was mighty tasty.  And it was easy.

Start by thawing a package of frozen spinach and squeezing out as much moisture as you can.  


In a food processor or blender combine a can of artichoke hearts, a few cloves of minced garlic, about 1/2 cup of cheese.  Parmesan is preferable, but if you run out of it like I did you can add in Monterey Jack or mozzarella or something similar.  Throw in some salt & pepper, too.  


Pulse until it's roughly chopped and combined.  It doesn't take long.  


In a large bowl combine the spinach, another 1/2 cup to 1 cup grated cheese (I would stick to Monterey Jack or mozzarella for this part), and a package of cream cheese.  

You might be wondering why this picture only has part of a package of cream cheese.  Or maybe you weren't wondering that, but I'm going to tell you regardless.  I thought I would start out easy with the cream cheese, but little by little I ended up adding the whole package.  You could do a lot of variations with this part if you don't want to use a whole thing of cream cheese.  If I would have had sour cream I would have added a little of that and halved the amount of cream cheese.  Or you could use a little cream or milk.  Or even yogurt.  I would just use whatever you have.  


Mix the spinach part together, and then add the artichoke mixture.  


Stir it all together.


Scrape the mixture into some sort of greased baking dish.  I used my trusty 9" round glass dish - one of my best IKEA purchases.  


Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes.  Serve with chips, crusty bread, or pitas.  


These two twirps enjoyed my dip.  The guy on the right and I share the same last name and the same birthday.  Fortunately, we are not actually related.  The guy on the left does not have my same last name or birthday, but I would be much more likely to hire him for legal help than the guy on the right.  


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

The super bowl party I attended had chocolate covered bacon. I cannot begin to tell you how much I recommend trying it. Amazing. I've already scheduled my angioplasty, just to be safe.

February 05, 2009  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Awesome. We were actually talking about how the one thing that would make ours better was to dip it in chocolate. Did you guys go to the state fair this year? We tried the chocolate covered bacon there, and it was just so-so. Maybe because it was made by Famous Daves. I think I'll try to make my own.

February 05, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home