January 31, 2009

Blueberry Whole Wheat Pancakes

These pancakes make for a delicious weekend breakfast, and since you add blueberries and whole wheat flour you can fool yourself into thinking you're eating something kind of healthy.  Until you pour on the syrup.  

Here's what you'll need:
1-1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour*
2 tbsp brown sugar, packed
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
2 cups buttermilk
3 tbsp oil
1 cup blueberries

* You could probably adjust the flour amounts so you use a cup of white and a cup of wheat.  I was just a little hesitant to add too much wheat after some recent less-than-satisfactory breakfast cooking experiments.

Start by combining all of the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.


If you're using powdered buttermilk, add the powder to the dry ingredients.  


To make 2 cups of buttermilk I added 8 tbsp powder.  In case you were wondering, I do not have color-changing bowls.  I realized that I needed my larger bowl to mix the wet ingredients, so I did a little switcheroo.  


Whisk everything together.


In a large bowl combine two eggs, two cups buttermilk (or 2 cups water if you're using the powdered stuff), and 3 tbsp oil.


Whisk away.


Then add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients.  


Whisk just until combined, unless you want rock-hard pancakes.  If brick-like pancakes are your thing, then continue mixing for as long as you want.  I chose to stop before that.  


Get your blueberries ready.  I used frozen ones, so I thawed them and rinsed them off.


Then make sure you dry them off pretty well unless you want soggy pancakes.  


If you're lucky and your boyfriend gave you a cast iron griddle for Christmas, spray it with cooking spray and heat it over medium-high heat.  If you're not so lucky, use whatever comparable device you have.  


I used 1/4 cup batter for each pancake, and they were maybe 4" around.  You could certainly make larger ones, though.  


Pour the batter on the griddle.  If you needed me to tell you that in order to make these, then you should probably not be making pancakes.  Maybe you should start heading to Cracker Barrel.  And bring me back a biscuit, please.  Thank you.  


Right after you pour out the batter, throw some blueberries on top.  I learned from my big brother Bobby that it helps to kind of throw them on with a little force so they kind of go into the middle instead of resting on the top.  In decreases the chance of having burnt blueberries when you flip them over.  I trust Bobby.  He makes killer pancakes.  And he makes delicious raspberry-rhubarb compote to eat them with.  If you go to Portland to visit him, he just might make you some.  


Wowsa.  Look at all those berries.  


Just in case you run out of blueberries, you might want to keep a few chocolate chips on hand.  


Okay, you might want more than a few chocolate chips.  


I guess I should have taken into consideration how many pancakes this recipe would make and halved the recipe.  Call me crazy, but this is just a few too many pancakes for two people to eat. 


I took the giant chocolate chip pancake for myself as a reward for my time slaving over the hot stove.  He brought his little blueberry friend along.  


I've you've never had peanut butter on pancakes or waffles you should try it.  I was introduced to this heavenly combination a few years ago in a little apartment in Brooklyn.  It's a little rich (I could only handle about half of the giant pancake), but it is soooo good.  



Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home