February 26, 2009

Saltine Toffee

Saltine toffee is probably the most highbrow dessert you could ever make.  If it's the only dessert you ever make.  It requires a whopping four ingredients (five if you want to be really fancy), and it takes about 10 minutes of your time.  Your stomach, as well as those of your friends, will be appreciative.  

Here's what you'll need:
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
35-40 saltines
Chocolate chips
Chopped nuts (optional)

Preheat your oven to 350.  Line a pan with foil, and make a single layer of saltines.  I used a jelly roll pan, but you can use any similar device.  The most important thing is that there are sides so you don't end up with a sugary mess in your oven.  


How could this combination not be good?


Heat the butter and sugar in a saucepan over medium-low heat.  


Give it a little stir to make sure it all gets mixed and the sugar doesn't burn.


Let it boil for about 3 minutes.  It will bubble and get a little foamy.  If you have a candy thermometer, heat it to a soft ball stage.  Then remove it from the heat.  


Pour the mixture over the crackers, and spread it around so all the crackers are covered.


Stick it in the oven for 5-10 minutes.  Mine bubbled a little, and I think I came close to burning it.  Then again I always get nervous and think I'm royally screwing up the recipe, but it always turns out well.  


Right after you take it out of the oven, sprinkle the top with chocolate chips.  I didn't measure them, but I'd guess I used a cup or so.  Please don't judge me for having stale chocolate chips.  Judging by the sheer volume of chocolate chips that my mom has stowed away in her kitchen cabinets, I would venture to say that she has far more stale chocolate than I do.  I would post a picture, but my birthday is coming up soon and I wouldn't do such a foolish thing. 


The heat from the toffee should melt the chocolate in a few minutes, but if you want to speed up the process you can throw the pan back in the oven for about 30 seconds.  


There's just something about molten chocolate that puts a smile on my face.


Spread the chocolate over the top with the back of a spoon or a spatula.  Sprinkle with chopped nuts if it suits your fancy.  I opted not to since I was making them for a bake sale, and it seems like nut allergies are all the rage these days.  


Refrigerate (or freeze if you're in a hurry) until the chocolate hardens.  Slice, and serve on your finest china.  


Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Sarah said...

making this right now!

January 03, 2010  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home