September 11, 2009

Tomatoey "Refried" Beans

I love refried beans, but I don't love how loaded with lard they are.  I've attempted to make my own lighter version several times by mashing up a can of whole beans with various other ingredients, but the result has always been so-so.  My mom always used to pour in a little salsa when she cooked refried beans, but when you're working with whole beans instead of the already mashed up and refried ones you need a little something more.  After opening a big can of tomato sauce to add to the chorizo I was cooking, I decided to add a little to the pan of beans as well.  With the help of an avocado masher, a little salt, and a few spices, I ended up with a nice, healthy replacement for refried beans.  They may not taste just like the refried beans at your favorite Mexican joint, but there's certainly a lot less guilt involved!  

Tomatoey "Refried" Beans

1-15 oz can black beans
1 cup chunky tomato sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cayenne


In a small saucepan over low heat combine a can of black beans and about a cup of chunky tomato sauce.  


Use a potato masher or an avocado masher to mash the beans as well as you can.  


Add about 1/2 tsp salt.  


Then add a little garlic powder and a few dashes of cayenne if you want to add a little spice.  I added a little cumin as well.  Give it a taste and add more salt or spices as needed.  


Yum!  

And...

Happy Birthday, Dad!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home