September 8, 2009

Easy Lemony Hummus

For the last couple weeks I've been planning to make a batch of hummus so I could make hummus and veggie sandwiches for weekday lunches.  I usually have the main ingredients on hand, so it's only a matter of setting up the food processor, dumping everything in and hitting the "on" button.  The one thing holding me back was the absence of tahini in my kitchen.  Tahini was once a mainstay in my fridge, but I think I chucked my jar of it when I moved apartments back in April.  That tells me two things: I don't make hummus nearly enough and I rarely have a need for tahini.  Instead of spending $5 on a jar of tahini when I would probably only use a fraction of it I made tahini-free hummus.  It was great!  I didn't miss the tahini one bit.  To be fair I am not a huge tahini fan and I only put a tiny bit in my hummus because I feel like I should, but I think tahini lovers and tahini haters alike can enjoy this hummus. 

Easy Lemony Hummus

1 jar garbanzo beans
1 lemon
1-2 cloves garlic
Olive oil
Salt

Optional ingredients: sun-dried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, feta, hot peppers, olives...


Place the garbanzos, the garlic and any optional ingredients in the bowl of a food processor.  Squeeze in the juice of the lemon.  Add in about 1/2 teaspoon of salt and about 1/4 cup olive oil.  Blend until combined.  Add olive oil until it reaches your desired consistency.  You could also add a little water to thin it out.  Check the seasoning and add salt to taste. 


Eat the hummus with warm pitas or smeared generously on a sandwich.  


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home