August 31, 2009

Oven Roasted Tomatoes

Oven roasted tomatoes have been popping up all over the place on food blogs lately (see hereherehere, and here), and I've been dying to try them.  The only problem was I didn't have a bunch of tomatoes sitting around that I needed to use up.  Until last week.  Matt came back from a week at home with a huge box of veggies from his mom's garden, largely composed of Roma tomatoes.  I was thrilled.  If I would have known how simple slow roasting tomatoes was and how delicious the results are, I would have been roasting them all summer long.  I guess now I just have to put my tomato consumption into overdrive until the season is over.  


I have yet to use the giant zucchini, and I can't decide what to do with it.  Zucchini bread is out since I still have half a loaf in my freezer from when I made it a month or so ago.  Any ideas?

Oven Roasted Tomatoes
Slightly adapted from Orangette

Roma tomatoes
Olive oil
Salt


Rinse the tomatoes, cut out the stems, and slice them in half lengthwise.  


Place them skin side down on a baking sheet and drizzle lightly with olive oil.  You can also brush the oil on with a pastry brush, which makes it a little easier to control the amount that goes on.  


Sprinkle with a little salt.  You can sprinkle on some herbs or spices as well, but I stuck with just salt figuring they could be used more universally if they weren't seasoned.  


Bake at 200 for at least 4 hours or at 225 for at least 3 hours.  Since the temperature is pretty low you don't have to worry about making your kitchen insanely hot for several hours. 


Some recipes call for roasting the tomatoes until they're a little more dry and shriveled, but I took them out when they were still moderately juicy.  They ended up being in the oven for about 5 hours.  

Eat them plain, throw them on a sandwich, toss them with pasta, add them to a salad, or anything else that tickles your fancy.  If you don't use them right away you can store them in an airtight container in the fridge.  

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger 1234 said...

i would suggest zucchini curry or zucchini fritters. and thank you, now i know what to do with all of the tomatoes my mom gave me this weekend.

August 31, 2009  
Blogger Kristi said...

Zucchini Pie! With the size of that one, you might be able to get away with just one...or you could try to pick up one more somewhere along the way and you'd probably be fine:

Italian Zucchini Pie
2 Tbsp margarine or butter
4 cups thinly sliced zucchini (about 3)
1 cup chopped onion
2 Tbsp dried parsley flakes
½ tsp salt
½ pepper
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp dried basil
¼ tsp oregano leaves
2 eggs, well beaten
2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Pre-made piecrust w/ 2 tsp mustard (optional)
Heat oven to 375. Melt butter in 12in skillet over medium- high heat. Add zucchini and onions; cook and stir 6 to 8 minutes (until tender). Stir in parsley, salt, pepper, garlic powder, basil, and oregano. In large bowl combine eggs and cheese; mix well. Stir in cooked vegetable mixture. Pour into pie dish, with or without crust. If using crust spread 2 tsp. of mustard on it before pouring in mix.
Bake at 375 18-20 minutes.

September 01, 2009  
Blogger Kirsten said...

Thanks for the suggestions! I ended up making a stuffed zucchini, but now I'm tempted to buy more and try out your ideas.

September 02, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home