November 30, 2009

Vegetable Potpies with Sweet Potato Biscuits

The night before Thanksgiving my brother made delicious vegetable potpies from a recipe in Food & Wine. They were a great way to fill up on veggies before feasting on turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes the following day, and they'd make a good meal for any cold winter night. I'm a big fan of traditional potpies (like the chicken potpie I made a year ago), but this one comes with far less guilt since it's stuffed with vegetables and topped with a sweet potato biscuit.



The original recipe called for parsnips, brussels sprouts, pearl onions, cauliflower, and celery root, but it takes well to substitutions. Instead of brussels sprouts ours had beets. My mom was really excited about purple pearl onions, so those went in instead of white ones. Being easily excitable runs in the family.


Bobby did most of the work on the filling.


And I got to make the biscuits.


These biscuits are delicious and would be great eaten on their own.


My mom kindly spiked some eggnog with whiskey for us to enjoy while we cooked. My dad doesn't drink, and I'm pretty sure he thinks that one drink makes you drunk. While this is generally not the case unless you're maybe a small child or my friend Sarah, it was certainly the case with these suckers. You could get drunk on the fumes alone. I'm not sure if it was the fact that I don't really like eggnog or that I'm still not over the last time I drank large quantities of whiskey and chased it with karaoke, but I simply could not handle this stuff.


After being tossed with olive oil and seasoned, the vegetables are roasted for 30 minutes.


Then a milk/cream/flour/butter/spice mixture gets combined with them. I guess what I said before about this being a healthy alternative to chicken potpies is not entirely true.


The mixture is divided among 8 4-inch ramekins. It should be fine in a larger dish, too, if you don't want to mess with individual servings.


Each dish is topped with a biscuit and a sage leaf or two.


Bake for about 15 minutes.


These go really well with a side of tart cranberry sauce.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home