October 15, 2009

Greek Turkey Sliders

In the last few days before leaving for vacation I was trying to use up a few items in my fridge that probably wouldn't survive my 10 day absence - a cucumber, a little spinach, a chunk of feta, and the remainder of a can of olives. I wanted to make either lamb meatballs or mini burgers, but they didn't have ground lamb at the store and I wasn't up for grinding any meat. Instead I picked up some ground turkey and cute mini pitas to make turkey sliders with a Greek twist. I had leftovers the next day by throwing everything into a regular sized pita, and it was quite tasty.


Start with a pound of ground turkey and in a large bowl dump about 1/4 cup bread crumbs, a couple tablespoons of dijon mustard, a generous sprinkle of dill, a little salt and a few dashes of cayenne pepper. If you're looking for more specific amounts you could use this similar recipe: Dill Turkey Burgers


Mix the ingredients well, and form into patties about 2" around and 1/2" thick.


Grill the burgers or cook them in a little oil in a pan for about 6 or 7 minutes or until cooked through.


Mini pitas! I'm a sucker for anything miniature. I'm talking about you, Shetland ponies!


The pitas didn't end up splitting in half like I had hoped they would, but unevenly split pitas never hurt anyone.


Aren't they cute?


To go with the burgers I mixed up some peeled, seeded chunks of cucumber with a bunch of dried dill and some plain yogurt.


Sliced cucumbers, olives, and chunks of feta rounded out the toppings.


We ate our sliders with hummus and tots. Sometimes you just have to eat tots. I've just figured that out in the last five years or so. When I was a kid I hated tater tots, probably due to the sad, mushy tots they served for school lunch. I remember eating dinner at a friend's house in maybe 3rd grade, and my friend's mom made tater tot casserole. I asked for it without the tater tots. I feel horrible about that now.


If you're not into finger foods you can stuff everything in a pita instead. Yum!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Careful Kirsten, now that you live in Minnesota - that tater tot casserole doesn't exist. That's tater tot hot dish to you now.

October 16, 2009  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home